Skip to main content

The Plan of Happiness

I teach the nine-year olds in Primary.  They are a great class.  Five awesome girls and one very smart little boy.  I started out this year on the Old Testament with where everything in Mormonism starts - the Plan.  The plan of salvation.

"Ohhhhnooooo, Sister Ellsworth."

"Not the Plan of Salvation!"

"I hate the Plan of Salvation!"

"I'm not even going to try to make it to heaven.  It's toooo hard."

They were so stressed out.  Why?

They thought it was too hard.  They thought they could never make it.  They thought the entire Gospel was a big yardstick and they were never going to measure up.  I hate to admit it but I kind of thought this way too.

We went through the plan piece by piece and finally got to the last, the greatest, the bestest "Celestial Kingdom."  This is where we all want to be.  I was a little nervous.  A little girl in our class was going to stand up and read the scripture on the requirements for the Celestial Kingdom.

Eeeek.  I thought.  Can I handle this?  Can they handle this?

So she read D&C 76 in verses 50-53.  "What?"  "Wait a second."  Where was the long list about eating vegan, plant-based foods, having your kids to bed by 7:00, going running for a half an hour each day and wearing designer ankle boots?  All that had to be in there somewhere.''

But it wasn't.

Here were the requirements:

1.  Believe in Jesus Christ
2.  Be baptized
3.  Keep the commandments SO that we can be cleansed of our sins
4.  Receive the Holy Ghost
5.  Overcome by faith

I asked them how many of them had a testimony of Jesus Christ.  All hands up.

How many have been baptized?  All hands.

How many of you try to keep the commandments?  Repent when you make a mistake?  All hands.

And they all had the gift of the Holy Ghost at baptism.  And the fact that they are coming to Church is evidence of their faith.  Eeeeasy peeesy lemon squeazy.  They had ALREADY ARRIVED and they did not even know it.  THEY WERE THERE.  They had MET THE REQUIREMENTS.  Of course there might be a bit left to overcome in life.  But with faith they could do it.  And so could I.

It was the Plan of Happiness after all. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do One Very Hard Thing Every Day

  A few weeks ago I woke up with some words in my head, words that I felt strongly that I needed to share with my children: "Do one very hard thing every day." I have been following this challenge myself for the last few days.  Some of my hard things may not be hard for other people but they are hard for me.  My daily challenges are aimed at helping me conquer my fear of heights, my dislike for throwing parties, and my fear of accident and injury.  Also my avoidance of talking to certain people or of doing certain things because I don't want to appear foolish.  Now I'm not suggesting that these things endanger life or limb, but I am suggesting that we stretch ourselves a little bit. Do we welcome growth?  Do we welcome opportunities for change?  Do we want our children to learn to do very hard things?  Are we proud of them when they overcome? It can be an exhilarating feeling to overcome challenges and to conquer new frontiers.  A few years a...

Why the Book of Mormon is the Best Gift I Can Share With You

Sometimes when I am around those who are not members of our church I kind of don't mention the Book of Mormon.  Like it's dirty laundry that I stuffed in the dryer.  What a shame!  The Book of Mormon has changed my life!  I feel the need to not understate the tremendous impact for good that the Book of Mormon has been in my life.  So here are some things I have learned from the Book of Mormon that I couldn't learn anywhere else: I have learned that I can be forgiven of anything through the Atonement of Jesus Christ: Alma 36 for me is the seminal chapter on the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  The story of Alma is the story of a father named Alma who has a very sinful son, also named Alma.  Alma the elder fasts and prays for his son and his son has a redemptive experience where he is forgiven of all of the sinful things he has done and goes on to become a great man and a powerful missionary.   It is a beautiful redemption story - of how far we can...

Don't Change Locations, Change What's Inside

We spent a lot of years early in our marriage pursuing happiness.  And we made the same fatal mistake that most young adults make when they start seeking happiness.  We decided that happiness was somewhere where we were not. We moved to Boston and took a job with a lucrative startup company.  But despite living in a nice townhome with our two adorable little boys we spent our days wishing we were somewhere else.  When we had made it big, when we moved back by family and bought a big home, then we would be happy.  Boston was just a stop on the road to where we wanted to be. We worked hard very very hard and we saved our money.  We didn’t take time to walk the Freedom trail or to eat lobster.  We were sure that just around the next bend in the corner, after this phase of life, we would arrive at our destination.  .  We invested little in our relationships with each other instead investing in work and church and feeling perpetually more and more...