Skip to main content

Do One Very Hard Thing Every Day

 


A few weeks ago I woke up with some words in my head, words that I felt strongly that I needed to share with my children: "Do one very hard thing every day."

I have been following this challenge myself for the last few days.  Some of my hard things may not be hard for other people but they are hard for me.  My daily challenges are aimed at helping me conquer my fear of heights, my dislike for throwing parties, and my fear of accident and injury.  Also my avoidance of talking to certain people or of doing certain things because I don't want to appear foolish.  Now I'm not suggesting that these things endanger life or limb, but I am suggesting that we stretch ourselves a little bit.

Do we welcome growth?  Do we welcome opportunities for change?  Do we want our children to learn to do very hard things?  Are we proud of them when they overcome?

It can be an exhilarating feeling to overcome challenges and to conquer new frontiers.  A few years ago we took a family trip to Switzerland, my ancestral homeland.  This trip tested my fear of heights in every way.  Here is a picture of my family driving a thirteen passenger van on a one lane road with sheer drop offs on the side:



I went on the steepest cog railway in the world.  I took my children on hikes (well, actually they took me) with sheer dropoffs and no railing.  I did some very hard things for me.  And it paid off.

When I came back to America and tried doing a hike on a mountain that had previously scared the living daylights out of me I was better.  We made it to the top.  So, try hard things.  Stretch yourself.  It will be an exhilarating ride.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Change Locations, Change What's Inside

We spent a lot of years early in our marriage pursuing happiness.  And we made the same fatal mistake that most young adults make when they start seeking happiness.  We decided that happiness was somewhere where we were not. We moved to Boston and took a job with a lucrative startup company.  But despite living in a nice townhome with our two adorable little boys we spent our days wishing we were somewhere else.  When we had made it big, when we moved back by family and bought a big home, then we would be happy.  Boston was just a stop on the road to where we wanted to be. We worked hard very very hard and we saved our money.  We didn’t take time to walk the Freedom trail or to eat lobster.  We were sure that just around the next bend in the corner, after this phase of life, we would arrive at our destination.  .  We invested little in our relationships with each other instead investing in work and church and feeling perpetually more and more annoyed with each other and our situation.