Skip to main content

Gratitude Hurts



Why don't we live more gratefully?

We live in an ocean of joy - it engulfs us every day.  But so many of us are imagination hidden in a parched barren wasteland of complaint, of mote-driven hunger for what can never be?  What fuels this rock hard-heartedness.  We ignore voluptuous water drops and fiesta flowers.  Purposefully hurry-driven.

Gratitude hurts.  Kneeling next to a prayer-postured child we catch a glimpse of joy at the lisping, lilting voice sent heavenward.  But it hurts.  A captured moment, never capable of repetition.  There is some agony in this life truth.  This is only a moment.  So fast, so fleeting.  And there is also a sense of owing that worries us humans - the eternal balance sheet where we are always in someone else's debt.  We bury ourselves in busyness, projects, deadlines, clean kitchens and piles of paperwork even argument, war, slit-eyes full of hatred.  And we don't want to leave the little world we're sure we built ourselves to God's greater world of monumental creation.

I want suddenly to immerse myself in the gratitude.  Yes, the presences ness is overwhelming.  But this is the key to joyful living.  Living in the moment.  Each snowflake, each smile, each storm, each firefly is a tremendous gift.   And you will be worry-worn some nights with how little you have done.  How much He has.  But that balance has been paid too.  So be grateful.  Find joy in the journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do One Very Hard Thing Every Day

  A few weeks ago I woke up with some words in my head, words that I felt strongly that I needed to share with my children: "Do one very hard thing every day." I have been following this challenge myself for the last few days.  Some of my hard things may not be hard for other people but they are hard for me.  My daily challenges are aimed at helping me conquer my fear of heights, my dislike for throwing parties, and my fear of accident and injury.  Also my avoidance of talking to certain people or of doing certain things because I don't want to appear foolish.  Now I'm not suggesting that these things endanger life or limb, but I am suggesting that we stretch ourselves a little bit. Do we welcome growth?  Do we welcome opportunities for change?  Do we want our children to learn to do very hard things?  Are we proud of them when they overcome? It can be an exhilarating feeling to overcome challenges and to conquer new frontiers.  A few years a...

Why the Book of Mormon is the Best Gift I Can Share With You

Sometimes when I am around those who are not members of our church I kind of don't mention the Book of Mormon.  Like it's dirty laundry that I stuffed in the dryer.  What a shame!  The Book of Mormon has changed my life!  I feel the need to not understate the tremendous impact for good that the Book of Mormon has been in my life.  So here are some things I have learned from the Book of Mormon that I couldn't learn anywhere else: I have learned that I can be forgiven of anything through the Atonement of Jesus Christ: Alma 36 for me is the seminal chapter on the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  The story of Alma is the story of a father named Alma who has a very sinful son, also named Alma.  Alma the elder fasts and prays for his son and his son has a redemptive experience where he is forgiven of all of the sinful things he has done and goes on to become a great man and a powerful missionary.   It is a beautiful redemption story - of how far we can...

Don't Change Locations, Change What's Inside

We spent a lot of years early in our marriage pursuing happiness.  And we made the same fatal mistake that most young adults make when they start seeking happiness.  We decided that happiness was somewhere where we were not. We moved to Boston and took a job with a lucrative startup company.  But despite living in a nice townhome with our two adorable little boys we spent our days wishing we were somewhere else.  When we had made it big, when we moved back by family and bought a big home, then we would be happy.  Boston was just a stop on the road to where we wanted to be. We worked hard very very hard and we saved our money.  We didn’t take time to walk the Freedom trail or to eat lobster.  We were sure that just around the next bend in the corner, after this phase of life, we would arrive at our destination.  .  We invested little in our relationships with each other instead investing in work and church and feeling perpetually more and more...